Just A Bit About Me....

My photo
Kitchener, ON, Canada
Well I'm the typical fat girl that everyone has as a friend. I'm funny, Sexy, Smart, and never a threat. I am on a journey to lose weight ( a lot of it!) and become the best Mummy to my son that I can be!... I'm sure there will be several times I stumble and fall, but follow me as I pick myself up, and continue along my way!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Pad Thai Recipe - for Linda!! :)


Pad Thai - A MUCH lighter version!!

Ingredients 
3 tbsp each freshly squeezed lime juice and
   asian fish sauce (look in the thai/asian/international cuisine section.. you'll find 
   the rice noodles there too.. it's by coconut milk, and hoisin sauce...)
2 tbsp each ketchup and brown sugar
1 tbsp each grated gingerroot and reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce
8 oz (227g) rice stick noodles, idealy 1/8 inch wide
2 tsp  peanut or vegetable oil
1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onions or shallots
2 tsp minced garlic
1 medium red bell pepper, diced or thinly sliced
8 oz (227g) uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup diced extra firm tofu (you want it firm at least, it's gonna fall apart otherwise)
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts

* First gather all ingredients you'll need for the recipe and get them ready (i.e., chop the red pepper, peel the shrimp, chop the onions.. etc...) Once you're ready to go, the meal comes together quickly. You don't want to be hunting for the bean sprouts while the shrimp burns!

* To prepare sauce, whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, gingerroot, soy sauce, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Set aside.

* Place rice noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let soak for at least 7 minutes, drain. 

* While noodles are soaking, heat peanut oil in a large, non stick wok. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper and cook 2 more minutes, stirring often. Add shrimp and tofu. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, around 3-5 minutes. Add sauce you made earlier, noodles, bean sprouts, green onions and cilantro. Toss and cook until mixture is hot, 2 -5 minutes. Add peanuts and toss again. Serve immediately.. ( I like it better the second day.. and never eat it the first! LOL)

I like to stick a slice of lime on the side.. and use chop sticks of course! 

Calories  - 308
Total Fat - 7.3g
Sat. Fat - 1g
Protein - 15g
Carbs   - 47g
Fiber - 2.8g
Cholest - 57mg
Sodium - 990mg

Enjoy everyone!! :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe... Thanks for sharing! I had a craving for Pad Thai last night. Too bad I didn't read this post first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually making it again now! Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete